Cllr K Burns
Cllr G Huntley
Cllr A Iley
Cllr P S Vaughan, Chairman
Cllr J Rowell
Cllr L Watson
Ms A Brindley, Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer and Mr D Iley Finance Officer
AGENDA PART 1
C062/23 1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr J Foster (illness) and Cllr H Allsopp(family commitment). The meeting accepted these apologies, agreeing they were proper reasons for absence.
C063/23 2. DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND OTHER REGISTERABLE PERSONAL INTEREST(S)
Cllr A Iley declared that he would leave the meeting should there be discussion of the staffing budget.
C064/23 3. PUBLIC QUESTIONS.
C065/23 4. TO CONSIDER AND SET THE PARISH COUNCIL BUDGET FOR
4.1 Choppington Parish Council is a local community council and prepares its budget and sets its precept following community engagement including approvals by our Residents Panel. In this context our wider community have established the area’s strategic priorities and all the Parish Council’s expenditure contributes to the achievement of those objectives:
- The protection and enhancement of our local environment.
- The development of opportunities and services for the young and old.
- To support the development of community facilities throughout the Parish.
4.2 The meeting considered the recommendation from the budget working group held on 10 January 2024.
Noting the following:
- Pay award contingency
- Members expenses
- Cleaswell Park renovation
- precept rise limit of 3%
- 4-year financial plan
- Current and forecasted inflation rate
4.3 Financial Strategy. First year of 4 year plan agreed in 2022, this is 3rd year of 4 year plan.
4.4 Members also took into consideration the following factors:
- The financial difficulties faced by households.
- Earmarked balances and contribution to financial strategy
- Financial precept cap set by residents.
- Increase in tax base of only 0.48%
- Members agreed to support the direction given by the budget working group in relation to the management of resources and for the delivery of services for the period 2024/25
- Members agreed the budget for 2024/25 of £631,063
C066/23 5. TO SET THE PARISH COUNCIL PRECEPT FOR 2024/25
The Parish Clerk/ Responsible Finance Officer advised that following adoption of the budget for 2024/25 that a precept for the year of £448,966 is required to support that expenditure.
- Members agreed to set the precept for 2024/25 at £448,966
- The Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer was directed to advise Northumberland County Council of this requirement.
- The Parish Clerk was given delegated powers to finalise all contracts and service level agreements as directed by the adopted budget and to develop business plans for the delivery of services for 2024/25.
Agenda – Part 2. Members can resolve that in consideration of Standing Order 3 and because of their special and confidential nature, items may require consideration after the exclusion of press and public.
C067/23 Members considered a grant request for 3 sets of 4 chairs from Choysez a charity that provides educational support for excluded young women. Members approved the award of £500.00.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 18.30