MINUTES OF THE CHOPPINGTON PARISH COUNCIL SPECIAL BUDGET MEETING HELD ON WEDNESDAY 26 JANUARY 2022 AT STAKEFORD AND BOMARSUND WELFARE (draft)
Cllr H Allsopp
Cllr J Foster
Cllr K Grimes
Cllr A Hart
Cllr A Iley
Cllr J Rowell
Cllr P S Vaughan, Chairman
Cllr L Watson
Ms A Brindley, Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer, Mr D L Nicholson, Deputy Parish Clerk and Mr D Iley Finance Officer
AGENDA PART 1
C063/21 1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr G Huntley (illness). The meeting accepted these apologies, agreeing they were proper reasons for absence.
C064/21 2. DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND OTHER REGISTERABLE PERSONAL INTEREST(S)
Cllr A Iley declared that he would leave the meeting should there be discussion of the staffing budget.
C065/21 3. PUBLIC QUESTIONS.
C066/21 4. TO CONSIDER AND SET THE PARISH COUNCIL BUDGET FOR 2022/23
4.1 Choppington Parish Council is a local community council and prepares its budget and sets its precept following community engagement including approvals by our Residents Panel. In this context our wider community have established the area’s strategic priorities and all the Parish Council’s expenditure contributes to the achievement of those objectives:
- The protection and enhancement of our local environment.
- The development of opportunities and services for the young and old.
- To support the development of community facilities throughout the Parish.
4.2 The meeting considered the recommendation from the budget working group held on 14 January 2022.
Noting the following:
- pay award contingency,
- reshaping of holiday play,
- reassessment of the life of bus shelters
- precept rise of 3%
- 4 year financial plan
4.3 Financial Strategy. In 2016 the Parish Council set a 4-year target that was endorsed by residents to cap the precept at £425,000. This target has been achieved and the current proposal – 2 years after that period is still under that target. This year the Council will commence engagement with residents for the next 4-year target.
4.4 Members also took into consideration the following factors:
- The financial difficulties to be faced by households, with increases to National Insurance Contributions
- Current inflation rate of over 5%.
- Earmarked balances and contribution to financial strategy
- Financial target below the cap set by residents
- Increase in tax base of 1%
- Members agreed to support the direction given by the budget working group in relation to the management of resources and for the delivery of services for the period 2022/23.
- Members agreed the 4 year finance strategy for engagement with residents
- Members agreed the budget for 2022/23 of £589,679
C067/21 5. TO SET THE PARISH COUNCIL PRECEPT FOR 2022/23
The Parish Clerk/ Responsible Finance Officer advised that following adoption of the budget for 2022/23 that a precept for the year of £423,193 is required to support that expenditure.
- Members agreed to set the precept for 2022/23 at £423,193
- The Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer was directed to advise Northumberland County Council of this requirement.
- The Parish Clerk was given delegated powers to finalise all contracts and service level agreements as directed by the adopted budget and to develop business plans for the delivery of services for 2022/23.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 10.10