MINUTES OF THE CHOPPINGTON PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 14 JUNE 2016 IN STAKEFORD AND BOMARSUND SPORTS AND SOCIAL WELFARE CENTRE
Cllr A Barrell
Cllr R Butler, Chairman
Cllr J Foster
Cllr G Huntley
Cllr P Munley
Mr D L Nicholson JP, Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer and Ms A Brindley, Assistant Parish Clerk.
AGENDA PART 1
C009/16 1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr A Iley (family commitment), Cllr J Oswell (work commitment), Cllr W Ogilvie (leave of absence) and Cllr P Vaughan (work commitment). Members accepted that these were proper reasons for absence.
C010/16 2. DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND
OTHER REGISTERABLE INTEREST(s)
Cllr P Munley declared an interest in relation to a grant request. No other declarations were made.
C011/16 3. PUBLIC QUESTIONS.
C012/16 4. PLANNING MATTERS FOR CONSIDERATION.
Cllr R Butler in his capacity as Vice Chairman of the Planning Committee gave a brief update to members on the proposed development of 350 houses at Willow Burn.
C013/16 5. TO RECEIVE AND ADOPT THE MINUTES OF THE PARISH
COUNCIL HELD ON 13 APRIL 2016.
The minutes were accepted as a true record of proceedings and the Chairman was authorised to sign as such.
C014/16 6. CONSIDERATION OF MATTERS ARISING.
There were no matters arising.
C015/16 7. TO RECEIVE THE MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF
THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 10 MAY 2016.
The minutes were received and confirmed as a true record of proceedings.
C016/16 8. TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE YEAR END ACCOUNTS TO
31 MARCH 2016 FOR PRESENTATION TO THE EXTERNAL
The Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer presented the annual return and supporting documentation for the financial year end 31 March 2016. The return includes:
- Accounting statements 2015/16
- Annual Governance Statement 2015/16
- Annual internal audit report 2015/16
together with supporting documentation including:
- Various copies of confirmation minutes
- Various copies of bank statements sent in confirmation of balances/actions
- Copy of trial balance
- Copy of workings undertaken to complete accounting statements
- Confirmation of the appointment of the internal auditor
- Copy of the letter prepared by the internal auditor together with the statement of internal control assessment and audit checklist
- Copy of the asset register
- Copy of the risk statement adopted by the Parish Council
- Bank reconciliation for the period
- Explanation of significant variations
- Reconciliation of boxes 7 and 8 – working detail
- Intermediate audit questionnaire
- Additional information regarding s106 receipt
- Copy of completed Appendix 1
- Details of other sources of income
The Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer placed on record his appreciation of the work undertaken by the Assistant Parish Clerk and Community Accounting North East in relation to the installation of a new financial management tool and in the preparation of year end accounts.
The letter to the Parish Council from the Internal Auditor, Mr P Basnett, was presented. This confirmed the Internal Audit and assurance process had been completed and that there were no matters arising from that report requiring the particular consideration of the Parish Council.
- Members received and approved the year end accounts and supporting documentation.
- The Chairman and the Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer were authorised to sign the various statements contained in the Parish Council’s annual return for the financial year ended 31 March 2016.
- The Parish Council received the Internal Auditor’s annual audit letter and agreed that Mr P Basnett be appointed as the authority’s internal auditor for 2016/17.
Agenda – Part 2
Members gave consideration to Standing Order 46a and concluded that in view of the special and confidential nature of the business to be transacted, it was advisable in the public interest that the press and public be excluded and asked to withdraw.
C017/16 1. CONSIDERATION OF ANY REQUESTS FOR GRANTS
Cllr P Munley withdrew from the meeting.
The Assistant Parish Clerk presented requests for grants from the Bomarsund Bowling Club and Choppington B Snooker Club.
- Members agreed to award a grant of a sum not exceeding £500 to the Bomarsund Bowls Club to support their open day competition and activities.
- Members agreed to award grants of £150.00 to all local snooker clubs whose membership was predominately composed of older people living in the parish.
- Members delegated responsibility for the award of grants to qualifying snooker clubs to the Parish Clerk in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Parish Council/Finance Committee.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.10
Chairman Date 20 July 2016