MINUTES OF A MEETING OF CHOPPINGTON PARISH COUNCIL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AND ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE HELD ON 12 AUGUST 2020 BY ZOOM
Cllr H Allsopp
Cllr A E Barrell
Cllr J Foster
Cllr K Grimes
Cllr G Huntley
Cllr A Iley
Cllr J Rowell
Cllr P S Vaughan
Cllr L Watson
Ms A Brindley, Parish Clerk/Responsible Finance Officer and Mr D L Nicholson, Deputy Parish Clerk. 1 member of the public
CD&E 001/20. 1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
All members in attendance.
CD&E 002/20. 2. MEMBERS’ DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND OTHER REGISTERABLE INTEREST(S).
Cllr G Huntley declared a personal registerable interest for item 8, the memorandum of understanding as he has recently been appointed as a Trustee for Stakeford and Bomarsund Sports and Social Welfare. Cllr J Foster declared a personal registerable interest for item 8 the memorandum of understanding as a NCC nominated Trustee for Stakeford and Bomarsund Sports and Social Welfare.
The Parish Clerk reminded each member that if the discussion on any agenda item strays into areas where decisions will be prejudiced by their continued attendance then a declaration should be made immediately, and the member should withdraw from the meeting for that item.
CD&E 003/20. 3. PUBLIC QUESTIONS.
CD&E 004/20. 4. TO RECEIVE AND AGREE AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12 FEBRUARY 2020.
The minutes were received, accepted as a true record with authority given to the Chairman to sign as such.
CD&E 005/20.5. MATTERS ARISING.
There were no matters arising.
CD&E 006/20.6. TO RECEIVE THE NOTES OF THE WORKING PARTY ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND OUR LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
The Parish Clerk presented the notes of the working group held on 4 March 2020 (attached as addendum 1), explaining that following the meeting Northumberland County Council invited the Parish Council to participate in a pilot scheme to ascertain the effectiveness and environmental benefit of using a pelargonic acid-based pesticide as an alternative to Glyphosate. The study will enable cost benefit analysis against which further evaluations can be measured. The Deputy Parish Clerk advised members that a further pilot where application of steam and foam to combat established weeds is being considered. Both studies will concentrate on 2 town centre locations and the proposed inclusion of the Choppington Parish will enable evaluation of the potential to deploy in the extended urban environment.
- Members received the notes of the working group agreeing they will form the basis for the Parish Councils policy statement for climate change
- Members supported Choppington Parish Council’s participation in the pilot schemes.
CD&E 007/20. 7. TO RECEIVE A VERBAL UPDATE FROM THE PARISH CLERK ON ISSUES SINCE LOCKDOWN.
- Opening of play area. Members were advised that play areas were opened on 24 June 2020 following risk assessment and additional measures put in place following COVID 19 guidance. The Parish Council has installed additional signs highlighting the responsibility of parents to supervise children and to foster a safe environment for children. RESOLVED: Members endorsed the actions taken, requesting leaflets be distributed to reinforce ‘safe play’
- Opening of Stakeford and Bomarsund Welfare Building. The Parish Clerk explained that Parish Council staff have been involved in risk assessment of the Welfare building together with colleagues from the Welfare. Community activities will be introduced on a phased basis towards the end of August.
- Extension to cycle routes. The Parish Clerk highlighted government funding available to link local cycle routes to the wider network. Members suggested 2 schemes; links from Bomarsund to East Bedlington via Red Row Drive, and from Guide Post to Morpeth along the A196. This latter route has been suggested previously through the Local Transport Plan (LTP) process. RESOLVED: Members agreed the 2 suggested schemes be included in future LTP submissions.
- Traffic calming measures. The Parish Clerk gave details of 2 schemes, Stakeford Lane and the A1147, both supported by County Councillor Julie Foster, and of a proposal to engage with Northumberland County Council to examine the benefit of interactive signage on Ashington Drive. Cllr J Foster spoke in support of these schemes and Cllr G Huntley advised the committee that the speed watch team will be measuring speed on Ashington Drive later in the week. RESOLVED: Members confirmed their support for additional work on Stakeford Lane and the A1147 and for the introduction of interactive speed signs on Ashington Drive, noting that an allocation for CPC contributions for interactive signage has been included within earmarked funds.
- Youth Activities during the school summer holidays. Members were advised that a consequence of COVID 19 is that all indoor holiday play activities have been suspended.
CD&E 008/20. 8. REPORT ON MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING.
RESOLVED: In consideration of the special and confidential nature of this item, members agreed that consideration should be made in the absence of press and public.
Agenda, Part 2
Members, in consideration of Standing Order 46a and because of the special and confidential nature of the business to be transacted considered that press and public should be excluded during the consideration of items included in part 2 of the agenda.
CD&E 009/20. 9. CONSIDERATION OF A GRANT REQUEST.
Stakeford Line Dancers.
RESOLVED: Members gave in principle support to the request subject to financial criteria being satisfied, and a condition requiring equipment to be returned to the Parish Council should the group fold, delegating responsibility to the Parish Clerk in consultation with members through the internal control group.
CD&E 010/20. 10. REPORT ON MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING.
Members received the draft document (Memorandum of Understanding) defining the relationship between Choppington Parish Council and Stakeford and Bomarsund Sports and Social Welfare Centre.
RESOLVED: Members agreed the draft Memorandum in principle referring the document to the Parish Council for final consideration.
There being no further business the meeting concluded at 11.50